Sunday, February 19, 2012

sepia tones

I thought of you today
In a way that felt invasive
An unwanted wave of your smell
The picture of your face stamped in front of mine
I looked out the window and remembered how it felt sitting on your couch

And the corner within me that is always mistaken
The part that paints me a perfect fool year after year
Whispered to my numb ears that I missed you
Missed your desperate need for me
Missed the way your pleading eyes saw a goddess in me

And I shook my head hard
And knocked the mistaken Reese back to her den of delusions
And I looked out the window again
And realized the possibilities of the buildings staring back at me

His couch lacked the urgency that yours always had
But its warmth, blanketed genuine
And though his eyes would never see the same goddess
still
they saw

And that worth, so heavy in value,
surpassed anything your supposed infatuation deigned to offer me
That worth is my delightful new reflection
of the loss of all you were never fit to be

No comments:

Post a Comment