Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Open your eyes, bitches

I would like you to take a moment with me.

And in this moment think of the women that you know.

And of those women that you know think about the ones who love their body.

And I mean worship adoringly are more than comfortable in their own skin embrace all they are completely women.

You don't know any, do you?

Why is it we can compliment strangers, and give thoughtful gifts to our friends and believe in the amazing capabilities of the people we know but we can't look in the mirror and smile at our own reflections?

I, for one, am sick to death of it.

There's a girl at my work whose like a size two taking some supplement to burn fat. And someone, equally as much a twiglet, encouragingly told her that was SO GREAT!

I almost drove a mascara wand into both their eyes.

Why? Why oh why oh why for the love of cheese fries why does no woman love who she is?

Do NOT attempt to convince me you're one to step out of the shower wipe the fog from the mirror wink at your naked reflection and declare, Damn I look good today!

But you sure as hell should!
Yes I deigned to use SHOULD.

What if when we put on our jeans and realized they still don't fit like they did in college we celebrated the curves we have TO-DAY and bought ourselves a rockin' pair that actually flatters our shape?

What if instead of waiting to love our bodies until they became everything other than what they are right now we chose to accept them in their entirety today?
Beautiful flaws and all.

What if we loved what we saw.
What if we merely loved.
And that was enough.

It's exhausting being around women who are so deluded they can't see how beautiful they are.
No I don't feel sorry for them.
No I don't pity their insecurities.
These are educated, savvy women who KNOW better.
These are women who remind their friends every day how amazing they are.
Turn that love around, sister.
You need it today more than anyone else.

So walk by a mirror look yourself square in the eyes and repeat after me, I. Am. So. Beautiful.
Because you are.
And the only person who needs to see it is YOU.





No comments:

Post a Comment