Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Feminism vs Misandry

"He lives in New York and is just so amazing.  And you know, I've been thinking about moving to New York somday myself, so maybe I'll move there too."

"Yeah, New York is amazing but don't move there for a guy."

"Fuck you."


I either bring out the best or the worst in people. 
It's just who I am.

I've been noticing this epidemic amongst my girlfriends as of late. 
This I'm-independent-and-strong-enough-to-not-need-a-man-but-I-secretly-would-follow-the-one-I-liked-to-the-ends-of-the-Earth-if-I-thought-it-would-bring-me-my-own-Fairytale-ending mentality.
But women are very defensive about this reality.
Thus the intense FuckYou reaction.

Bitch, please.
You're only mad because it's true.

And why does it have to be such a bad thing anyway?

Another girl I know is going on a trip overseas for some volunteer humanitarian work for your shelter kind of thing.  And while she's there she'll get to see an old flame that never quite fizzled out.

"You're totally going because you want to see your Irishman."

"No. I really want to be a part of this outreach.  Besides I'll only see him for a week.  Possibly two."

But of all the volunteer stations in all the world he had to walk into hers.
Come now.

Why can't these strong, independent women have the strength to stand and say, Yes, I am going for a man I love.
Does this have to be concurrent with weakness?
Shouldn't a love strong enough to cross oceans be a strength?

Or is that only in the Romeos and not the Juliets?

I had an amazing moment last night.

I'd been feeling burnt out from work (I love my job, but I am human and can only handle so much negativity bombarding my happy bubble before it bursts) and during my lunch break I was searching for some sort of outlet, some mini escape.
Being that there really is no escape from the mall but other parts of the mall I decided on happy hour at the Cheesecake because if nothing else would perk my spirits their guacamole should do the trick.

Oh but I was in for an even richer indulgence.

I sat at the bar and spent my entire lunch break having a playful, flirtatious banter with the bartender.  He looked like Prince Charming's long lost brother (So I have a type, Blah!) and had that nervous, awkward but still somehow charming thing going for him that makes my heart happy.  When I put my card on the table he asked if it meant I was leaving and when I said yes he made a sad face.
He actually stuck out his lip and pouted like a little kid.
I may have found my future ex boyfriend.

I went back to work beaming. 
It was so simple but all I'd really needed was a little male interaction.
Cosmetics is full of beautiful, bitchy, insecure, sweet, sincere, underhanded and conniving bitches. 
It's the full spectrum of feminity.

And that's fine.

But sometimes there is nothing that makes me feel more like a woman than the attention of an attractive male.

I am a woman.
And unlike my sisters that protest, I'm not ashamed of my need for love.

I deserve that.
We all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment