Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mine, All Mine

"Someone came in and left a note for you, some guy."
What? Wait... what did he look like...
"He had glasses on and a hat and tattoos..."
Oh......my.......GOD!


No freaking way.

Once again a beautiful man has left me with that expression on my lips.
And not only was there a note left for me but it was written in this sort of secret code that only I would understand.
And I seriously loved that.
I guess there are a few people out there who do still surprise me.
He always did know how much I love surprises.

I was a little disheartened that I had worked at my other store and missed seeing him, though.  It has been nearly a month since I've seen him and while in actual time that's not very long at all in Fairy Tale time it's like half a year.
Fairy Tale time is like dog years only sparklier.

But part of me also thought there was some poetry in not seeing him.  I'm in a good place once again.  And Princes have a way of imbalancing my equilibrium.  I wasn't sure I trusted his heart entirely either.  And if those chocolate eyes looked into my grey ones who knows where we might fall.  Then again, maybe we'd just give each other a hug and be thankful to have seen each other and that would be enough.
But I sort of liked not knowing.  I also liked the possibility that if the time was right, perhaps he would show up again sometime.
I did have a birthday coming up next month, after all.

I just couldn't believe he left me a letter.
Even Mother when I told her held a stunned silence on the phone.
I can't believe he did that.
And later she even wrote, Your life is unbelievable.
It really kind of is, isn't it?
In my simple little way, still--
Miracles a go-go.

I remember when I was picking up my bed from Mr. Indecisive's after he had already left because I foolishly volunteered myself to take care of it so he wouldn't have to.  Grandma so aptly put it, If he were a real man he would have taken care of that before he left and not made you have to deal with it.
Yes, Grandma, if he were a real man a great number of things would have been different.
But in my romantic hopefulness I thought, Maybe he will have left behind a letter for me, some last overture in honor of our love, of all that had been. Or at least a thank you, a cartoon, a smiley face, anything.
No.
Nada.
He was not Prince Charming.  He was just a boy.  A very sweet, very confused, lost boy.

See, the good thing about dating so much is I don't take things for granted.  I mean, maybe I haven't seen it all but I've certainly seen a lot and one thing I do know without a doubt is that men don't do things they don't want to do.  If they want to disappear and fall off the face of the planet they will.  If they dain to actually send a text, oh my, I'm significant enough for them to exert the slightest amount of effort. 
But if they actually set out to do a grand romantic gesture, if they care enough to drive 30 minutes just to bring me a note because their parting words were less than loving, well look out, because that's a keeper right there.  It's just sometimes the keepers are already kept.
And that, well, that just plain sucks.

Asterisk-Asterisk-Exclamation point-dollar sign-asterisk-blanketyblank-dagnaggit.

Le Sigh.

But even being without, I did get one gift so many never receive.
And that is the loving truth.
It always sets free.
And I soar with love beneath these wings.

And no one can touch that.
That is simply mine, all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment