Friday, June 17, 2011

Confessions of a Sugar Junkie

Grandma cut out an article for me to read the other day on the dangers of sugar.  And I nonchalantly replied, Oh I know, I've read 'Sugar Blues.'  Sugar is terrible for you.  It has addictive properties on par with opiates.  But I don't care.  It's my drug of choice and I choose to abuse.

Grandma, true to Nelson form, casually accepted my answer and just laughed.  The Nelsons aren't combative so no arguments ensue.  Which is good cuz I can be about as stubborn as they come.

I love sugar.  But I don't love going through withdrawal.  I don't love going through withdrawal from any drug.  I don't love the manic depressive roller coaster waves highs bring when they crash around your feet.  If something gets you high all the time it's easy to develop a codependency on it.  Without the high something feels off.  It's non descript but still overwhelmingly present.  I may not physically get the shakes but I certainly get the grumps.  I want my high and I want it now!! 

But what happens if your high doesn't want you?

That brings us to the Search for Other Drugs.

No two drugs are exactly alike.  I think sometimes those that used to get you high lose their potent properties as time sneaks by.  And as your cravings increase.  A lot of things in life aren't conducive to change.  So when you do it can be hard for the new you to be accepted.  People like familiarity.  And familiarity can feel like stagnancy.

Thus the need for highs.
Unpredictable, inconstant, greedy little highs.

You'd think I'd learn but damn if that sweet, forbidden taste isn't worth the crash.
Shame thy name is sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment