Thursday, June 23, 2011

sparkling bruises

When I was a freshman in college I had surgery.  And the tube they shoved down my throat tore up my vocal chords.  And as a voice major my instrument was destroyed.  I dropped out of school and a part of who I was faded away.

I think there's a reason for the cliche you won't appreciate what you have until it's gone.  When my music was taken away I realized how much that passion trumped any other.  I'm no doctor and I don't know for sure but I'm pretty certain my pipes are stronger now.  Maybe they needed to be destroyed so they could be rebuilt.  Maybe you can't make something stronger when it's still in its weaker shell.  Maybe it all has to shatter first.

It would certainly make these shards of glass seem less painful.

I think it's hard to find the good in something when you're still dizzy from the blood.  I think it takes time, sometimes longer than you'd like to heal from cuts that trip you up, that run so deep you feel you can hardly breathe.  Sometimes you think the wounds have healed and then you turn a corner and something unexpected gently touches the wound and you're suddenly drenched in blood all over again.

Sometimes the people who reached out to you didn't mean to tear open the wounds.

It would certainly make these rivers of blood seem less toxic.

And that would be nice.
For your faith to not be misplaced.
just once
Wouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment