Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Magical Day

I wake up and wish myself a happy birthday.
Then I stay snuggled up under the covers because I never want to get up when I awake.
I reach for my phone and see Mother texted me.
I smile, tickled over her new use of technology.
I open my favorite book and mull over verses in Ephesians.

Finally I crawl out of bed and tiptoe into the living room to pet the kitties.
 Good morning, Emily. It's my birthday, Henry.
I get on my computer and read my Facebook love.
My 8th grade best friend sent a picture of Ryan Gosling.
A very happy day indeed.
My old dancing friend sent an ecard.
Singing cards make me giggle.

I smell the roses I bought myself and then take a long, hot shower.
Hair pinned. Face painted. Red lace under my new pink party dress.

On to my old neighborhood where I grew up, my favorite muffin for the best bagel breakfast sandwich in town and the Starbucks I once frequented for the warm delicious holiday gingerbread white chocolate mocha.
Mmm. Heaven in a cup.
Over to my favorite park to share my breakfast with the ducks.
I breathe in the brisk winter air and recall the great loves who once sat with me on these benches.
Circling the pond I glance at the swings and indulge in how simple it is to laugh.

Leaving my old neighborhood, I head downtown, past my old college and the park blocks.
Down to the waterfront, waiting at a stop light, where the guy who once told me I could do so much better than Mr. Volcano walked right in front of my car.
Over the Ross Island bridge, past the exit I would have gone to go to my old roommates house.
Driving by the hot cake house and the grind, where great conversation was always had.
Arriving at the store I go for exquisite hats I find a mink collared coat, delicate velvet bows to adorn my head and a pink crystal brooch to match the birthday ring from my king and queen.

Back over the river to my other favorite shop and wonder of wonders I find a Grace Kelly dress sleek enough to fit over my double d's.
Adorned with velvet appliques, surely made for the hat I just bought.
The owner likes me so much he gives me the red slip I wanted as a free birthday gift.
Over to my favorite nail salon and I find a parking spot right in front of the building.
Birthday parking karma lasts all. day.
My manicurist tells me it's her husbands birthday too.
She makes my nails perfect enough to make Elle Woods proud and I indulge in the heated massage chair.

Over to Little Bird to meet my Sex and the City cast for a little french cuisine.
I admire the tables on the second floor that look out over the restaurant and we are ushered to a table there when we are seated.
My Samantha gives me a new little black lace.
We heart you, Victoria's Secret.
The handsome guy who looks like an extra from Newsies comes over to interject, Excuse me is it your birthday today?  It's my birthday too.  I hope it's simply wonderful.
The gorgeous stallion serving water makes my heart stop, leans towards me to ask, Do you have another cocktail on the way?

I muster up all self control to not say something inappropriate and just drool a little while I shake my head no.
I want HIM for my birthday.
Oh doo dah day.
He refills my water an incessant amount the rest of the evening.

Hope sweet hope and a soothing bubble bath.
My phone blinks with a text from my mystery date.
I postpone it till tomorrow.




Some days are so magical it's best to save a little for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment