Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The obligatory PC reference

Yesterday one of my old Starbucks regulars came in to my store.
And while I know she means well, she inevitably always asks me about Prince Charming.
If I've heard from him, if anything is going on with him and I always politely change the subject.
Only this time I made the mistake of admitting that last month I thought I saw him on the escalator and my heart lurched into my throat.
'I guess I didn't think he still had that effect on me.'
"Well, maybe it isn't over between you two. Timing is everthing, you know."

That was not exactly what I needed to hear.
Especially when I was already feeling needy and emotional because of a stupid cold and stupid hormones and my friend with benefits has given me no benefits for nearly two weeks.
Eleven Days.
But whose counting.

And it's like some cosmic joke that all the characters in my story are handed the same script and don't even realize it because just last week my friend brought up PC too.
"When was the last time you heard from him?"
'November.'
"That's all? It feels like its been forever."

Yes. It does.
But it really hasn't.
I mean, it hasn't even been two months.
And sometimes I still think of him and miss him and wish I could tell him about all that's been going on.
And sometimes I'm glad I haven't heard from him and I know he feels the same way.

Seeing that old regular made me kind of realize my need for a new relationship.
My La Fee Verte is charming and I cherish his presence right now.
But I also know he will never be one of those epic relationships I'll write books about.
He just doesn't see me that way.

My mother and I had an interesting conversation over the holidays and she said something I wished so badly I could share with PC.
"I think you were having a hard time realizing the only man who ever loved and accepted you as you are was unavailable. And these other men have made you doubt yourself and its made you feel awful."

There's something romantically tragic in that and I smiled knowing it'd make a wonderful moment in my book.
Which I desperately need to get back to writing.

I also need to get back to relationships.
I'm ready.
Dating is fun and making out is great but I'm ready for something of substance.

The drama at work has subsided and I love my job.
The tension at home has evaporated and I love spending time with my family.

And now I'm ready to release all of the past so I might embrace all that awaits me.

Someone just needs to get the memo to the real prince charming so he can make his grand entrance.
And I know PC will be watching in the wings, smiling approvingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment