Friday, January 20, 2012

Play Me

The music of Yann Tiersen is my favorite to play on the piano.
Though Schumann would be a close second.
And Beethoven and Chopin. Third and fourth, respectively.

But of all Tiersen's pieces that I've learned to play there has only ever been one that has given me difficulty.
His Sur Le Fil is rhythmically the most challenging.
It's the only piece I can never go on auto pilot and manage to play through without a mistake.

And tonight I realized that women are like the Sur Le Fil.
To master something so complicated and intricate takes discipline and focus and careful attention to detail.
One faulty move and the whole run is off.
And so is the woman on her way out of your bedroom.

The thing I find so amusing about the section I find so challenging is that it's a matter of tempo and build.
If I try and slow the tempo down too slow my timing gets off, the notes are garbled and jumbled and the phrasing doesn't work.
Yet if I try and rush through it, speeding up the tempo the whole thing becomes one slurred mess and the accents are lost, the arc of the music, fallen.

Women need the right tempo, the right build.
Not to be slowed at the most challenging section nor rushed neither.

I'm thinking most men could use a refresher course in music theory.

And for those who also need to brush up on their french?
The piece so intricate, so delicate, so in need of an expert's touch?

Is entitled Just In Time.

Here's to the lover skilled enough to learn my tempo.
Sur Le Fil.

Or I shall hand the sheet music over to another.


1 comment:

  1. Luckily for me I have been able to handle women like music. Though it may seem difficult if you just feel it, truly feel it then the end result is beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete