Monday, September 12, 2011

A Rosy Love Story

"Never resist an impulse, Sabrina. Especially if it's terrible."

I think most of the women in my life have given up on romance.
They've turned into these complacent cynics who distrust accolades and roll their eyes at any ounce of mushiness.
Myself included.
You want to make sweet sweet love to me?
Dude. Come on.
We both know what you really wanna do.
And love ain't got nothin' to do with it.
Mmmkay?

See?
Romance. Dead.
In its place?
Skeptics. A go go.

I don't think we're meaning to be a bunch of Negative Nancies.
I think we're trying to be pragmatic by wearing our big girl panties.
Or sometimes, in my case, no panties. I like the element of surprise.
We want to accept that life is far less starry eyed than we imagined and far more practical.
We want to be tolerant and not foolish.

But life, unpredictable, glorious, romantic life finds ways to gently touch my cheek and make me blush when it scatters romance at my feet so I trip, tangled up in it.
And it always catches me off guard.
And it always makes my heart swell with hope.
Hope of a love where romance does exist.
And not just for Audrey Hepburns.

I took myself on a date with the Rosy City for brunch and shopping and music.
The day was radiant and I wore my favorite new dress and one of my favorite old hats.
I walked into one of my most favoritist restaurants, Build your own Mimosa? Why yes, I think I shall!
And whom should I meet?
But one very dreamy host, whom we shall call, Linus.

"Can I sit outside?" I asked.
"Are you  sure? It's pretty hot."
Yes, yes you are.
"Yeah, ok. Sure."
"Well, there's the corner over there that overlooks outside."
"Ok."
"Or there's the corner over there too. What are you in the mood for?"
You. Naked. Sunny side up.
"I don't know. I'm too hungry to make a decision."
"You're cute."
Yes. I know. Thank you. As are you. Good god, are you!

So I sat down at the table he chose and Linus said my server would be with me shortly. 
Then he brought me some coffee.
"What are you all dressed up for?" Linus asked.
"Oh. I'm going to see Iron & Wine tonight."
"Really? Me too."
Thank you, Rosy City! This is the best present a girl could ask for!

So then over the course of my brunch I saw my server twice, and saw Linus at least four times.
He asked if I lived in the area and about the concert.  He told me he was a massage therapist and I told him he could feel free to massage me.
Ok. Not really. I thought it. I ached for it. But I was a lady and crossed my legs at the ankles instead.

Linus was the kind of handsome I don't see very often, the kind that only exists in black and white movies, when men only wore suits and took ladies to dinner and dancing.
I felt beautiful and glowing, the way his eyes smiled in mine.
And as he brought me my check I anticipated what words he'd utter, how our meeting would continue.
But there was no invitation, no 'hope to see you at the show', no Cary Grant gesture.

But a dandelion seed floated down onto the table across from me and I smiled at seeing a wish at such an opportune time.

After shopping and walking and holding hands with the city I went to the square for the concert. 
The bands were wonderful and the airplanes were waltzing overhead.
The moon was full and I breathed in the perfume of the city.
I glanced over my shoulder and somehow the wish had followed me across the river.
A dandelion seed now floated above our heads.
And I smiled at seeing a wish at such an opportune time.

I went and sat down for the last song and stared lovingly at the crowd.
Slowly, gracefully, a tall figure walked towards me and as he made eye contact with me I realized black and white movies weren't the only place to see beautiful men.
He sat down on the steps near me and then looked up at me and smiled.
"Is anyone sitting here?" those violet eyes asked  me.
"No," I blushed back and he scooted up the three stairs to sit directly next to me.
My heart didn't skip, it twirled. A beat and a half.

The song ended and the band played a sweet encore.
Again, I breathed in, anticipating my companion's next move.
What words, what gesture.
But again, silence.
And I smiled, knowingly.
Certain, somewhere nearby, a wish floated overhead.

The city had embraced me and released me.
And even though no continued dialogue would fill the pages of my following days, it had reminded me of one overwhelming truth.
Romance is everywhere.
And the moments it fails to leap into unspoken words, it flies overhead.
For me to see, to hear, to hope.
To believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment