Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Many Faces in Veronica's World

Veronica found herself in a bakery she'd frequented for years but hadn't been to in a long time.  It felt familiar to her but in a distant way; the way something is known because of a memory that is mostly remembered. She met Cordelia who she also hadn't seen in months.  They often met at the bakery and if it were open later their conversations would have likely slid into evening.  They always had so much to say to one another which was partially why they were so fond of each another.  But they'd known each other less than a year. Some connections don't take long.  In fact some of Veronica's most intense connections were shorter than this paragraph.

Yet those were the ones that continued to haunt her.

Soooo. How was your date? Cordelia asked Veronica.

Meh.  I don't know, Veronica searched for the right words.  Nondescript.  It was just...beige.  I guess it had a more friendship vibe than a romantic vibe.  He didn't even tell me I looked nice and I wore the hottest little dress!  Maybe he was nervous or maybe he just wasn't really interested.  Veronica shrugged.  It was kind of disappointing.

Oh, I'm sorry, Cordelia said.

Yeah, I didn't even think it mattered to me until it was over and I realized I was disappointed.  And then it really made me miss him.  You know, every time I saw him, within the first minute he'd say something about how great I looked.  He always made me feel like I was captivating to him.  I guess I just wasn't to this guy.  Veronica took a sip of her coffee and looked out the window.

Cordelia was quiet for a moment and then tilted her head thoughtfully. It's going to be really hard for you to meet a guy who makes you feel the way he did, isn't it?

Veronica looked up at her and blinked.
I guess so.  I never thought about it that way.  Veronica got quiet again and then not wanting the tone of the conversation to get too serious brightened up.  I'll have to have this long list of criteria for every potential guy: Ok, you have to think I'm a goddess, that I'm absolutely the most gorgeous woman in the world, talented, an amazing actress, singer, writer... Veronica couldn't continue because Cordelia and her were overcome with a wave of laughter.

What?  You think I'm asking for too much? Veronica smiled and arched her left eyebrow.

Absolutely not, Cordelia grinned back.  And they raised their coffee cups in cheers and drank a third of their coffees.

Do you think men have a sixth sense about these things?  Veronica changed the conversation tone once again.  Her moods, like her hair color, changed with frightening speed.  I mean, in knowing when you're vulnerable and needing them.  Do they have this built in radar that knows the precise moment to make a move because it will be nearly impossible for you to resist?

I don't know.  What do you mean?  Cordelia asked.

I mean he came in to my store again.  Veronica paused and drank more of her coffee waiting for a reaction.

He DID??!! Cordelia nearly whispered.

Did I or did I not say I was anticipating him doing something around Valentine's day?  And four days after Hearts day what does he do?  Something!  I have no idea why I'm so oddly a tune to him.  It's either absolutely amazing.  Or absolutely psychotic.  Or amazingly psychotic!  Ha!  Veronica smiled at her own cleverness.

You know, things may not work out for him, regardless of you, Cordelia stated matter of factly.

Really?! Veronica responded much too eagerly but then quickly caught herself.  Well, I hope it does.  I mean, I do want him to be happy.

I know you do, Cordelia responded.  And I'm sure he feels the same way about you.

I'm just honestly not really sure what to think.  I guess,
Veronica continued slowly,  I think it means he's either still in love with me and something's gonna happen.  Or he just doesn't want me to move on so he's trying to make me hold onto him to feed his ego.  Veronica locked eyes with Cordelia.  I'm either really excited or really pissed off.  The jury's still out.

Cordelia laughed.  Veronica always made Cordelia laugh no matter how serious the topic was.  So what are you going to do?

Nothing, Veronica said cooly.  One thing's for sure.  He'll be back.  I just have no idea when.  So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  But I'm not worried.  Veronica grinned her mischievious grin.  It's either something real or something awful and I'm not sure I want to know.  Either way I'm in trouble.  But I shine in every situation!

Cordelia smiled thoughtfully at Veronica.  How could he not love you?

Veronica smiled back.  How could he? she silently thought.

1 comment:

  1. This is good. I have been enjoying all of your writings. The things that i write i wouldn't have the guts to put up for everyone to see.

    ReplyDelete