Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Needs they won't show

I'm tired of being a Mom.  I want to do something for me.
There's this really cute gal in my dance classes.  'Cute' makes her sound like she's a high schooler and she's likely older than I am but she really is.  Totally cute.  I told her she reminds me of a cheerleader and she laughed but was a little put off by it, Why does everyone say that? she asked rhetorically.

Truthfully?  It's probably because she's very petite, very blonde and very pretty.  And she always has a Miss America smile painted across her lips.  And she also dances with the precision only a cheerleader or drill team dancer can master.

Regardless I've decided I'm adopting this runaway Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader because something tells me she's a kindred spirit.

I complimented her on her dancing the other night.  There are a lot of gals at the studio and some have got the moves but very few are performers.  There's an extra light that shines from within a true performer and they are the ones your eyes inadvertently are drawn to.  Something about them is captivating and as I guessed it, the cheerleaders love for dance was on par with mine.  I watched that love emulated in her dancing.

They're having auditions next month for a dance team. You should audition, I told her.  I'd hire you.

Thank you,
she beamed.  I'm planning on it.  I'm so excited.  I'm tired of being a Mom.  I want to do something for me!  She laughed at her own boldness but I could see she meant it with her whole heart.

I'd used that same expression when I'd hoped to be cast in the play I auditioned for months ago.  I want something for me.  And I know the dance team is the same thing.  It's like having this really dazzling secret that no one else in your world gets to be a part of.  And when you're doing this thing that's just for you all the rest of your life, the headaches, the responsibilities, the relationships, slip away because this is all about you and this talent few get to see.

And while I know like any audition there will be competition and the factor of fate and whether or not it's meant to be, I also know my passion for performing, for dance especially, is going to be evident in my performance at that audition.  And I'm certain the cheerleaders equal enthusiasm will be impossible to miss.
And something tells me the cheerleader and I will earn spots on the team.

And if not we know we've always got class.
And no one and no thing can stop us from shining every night there.
It's just a fire within us.
And few ever get the treat in delighting at the sight of it.
But some things are just for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment