Thursday, February 24, 2011

The words we never speak

Life isn't always what one likes, is it?

No. 'Tisn't.


I love 'Roman Holiday'.

It never ceases to get me all choked up at the end when Audrey Hepburn gazes at Gregory Peck from across the room and his eyes well up fighting back the tears.  And the way they look at each other communicates such love but they say so little.  In fact the words that are uttered between them are formalities for all the people surrounding them.  And all they're really communicating is through the way they look at each other.

Yes, even as a writer I can admit there are some things words fail to say.


I feel really silly admitting this but I totally cyber stalked somebody tonight.

And I'd really like to say I'm far above such juvenille activities especially as I approach my thirtieth year. 
But in my defense it was someone I don't talk to, that I haven't seen in what feels like a life time and if curiosity killed the cat then all I have to say for myself is, Meow.

I'm really glad I saw what I did, though.

I felt like I got to understand a little bit more about the things I'll never understand.
And in some new-age-technology-based-isolated-separated-sort-of-way, I felt connected to the person.
And that was nice.

And then I saw something that brought a little welling to my own eyes.

On my birthday, over ten weeks ago, they had made their status, Happy Christmas and Merry Birthdays!
And I knew that was for me.
That tiny, asinine, seemingly inconsequential thing.

But I knew better.

And people don't do things they don't want to do.
Especially when they have no idea that you'll ever know about it.
Which, I think is why it felt so special.

I stumbled on a little cyber sentence, a tiny phrase in the vastness of the web, that revealed a great deal more than I'd imagined.

And it was nice, for a moment, to hear something they could never say.

No comments:

Post a Comment