Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pick-a-little

I am blessed to know a lot of incredible women.
Some offer support or pearls of wisdom.
Some take it upon themselves to be my voice when I can't speak.
A rarity, to be certain.
And there are still others who get all fired up when I've chosen to accept fate with grace and dignity.

I love seeing the most loving women open up a can of Whoop Ass to defend their favorite Reese.

Three of the women that are closest to me all got really angry when they found out I didn't make the dance team: My Bestie, My Mother and My Grandmother.

I didn't make the team, Grandma, I told her over dinner.
WHAT? WHA--You didn't make the--Well WHO DID?? she nearly exploded.
I didn't know and I told her how I was a little disappointed but trusting He had other uses for my time.
We continued eating in silence for the next several minutes.
You're taking this better than me, she'd said.  I'm still mad.
I told her about how they open the choreography classes so I can still go to learn the routines for fun and if they ever need an extra body I will be on the list of potential candidates, should they need me.
The look and scoff that appeared on Grandma's face?  Priceless.
Well, I wouldn't go, if I were you.  I wouldn't make it easy on them, she said with her adorable 86 year old pride. 
I couldn't stop laughing. 
Mother was equally upset at the poor casting choice and I'm pretty sure Betty Ann's WHAAAT?! on the phone when I told her was equal to Grandma's in horrified shock.

It's nice knowing those closest to you've got your back when you're busy accepting what's meant to be, will be.

And truth be told?
I think they were madder than me.
That kinda makes me giggle.

I mean, it was my little mini dream.  Why was I so alright not getting it?

Because I've become a professional in the art of rejection.  Bring it, baby.  This Reese is STRONG.

The thing about not getting what you want all the time?
You realize how swell life can still be when you don't get what you want all the time.
All those relationships I lost have been replaced by new ones.
I go to work and people are thrilled to see me not whispering about me.
Folks are seeking me out to make lunch dates not cancelling them. 

And being able to hear I wasn't cast on a dance team I'd been pining for the last several months and still be able to be so content is only possible because of all the past I've overcome.

If nothing went wrong for you today then you did not grow.
Going through trials, enduring them and managing to have a good attitude while doing so means you're growing and you're stronger!!

So when those joy stealing circumstances arise that seem daunting and off putting and annoying as hell, just tell yourself I'm not impressed.  Cuz if you don't get impressed you won't get oppressed  or depressed or possessed.
You'll be far too busy believing the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment