Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hello, friends and enemies....

This is a story about a boy and a girl and all their friends and enemies, too numerous to mention on such a small page. Here we find said boy and said girl meeting up for the first time in many years. In their past they were not strangers, though not nearly friends and somehow, as fate would have it, 1,825 days would pass before they would share their first kiss (give or take a week). Though others had broken their spirits, they would find each others childlike wonder reflected back in each shooting star mirrored in smiling eyes.



It's nice, don't you think?

A story so simplistic and sincere?


Do you remember what you were like five years ago? I can barely remember all of what happened last year, let alone five years ago. And amusingly, someone tried to pass judgement on me for something I did in the past. Can you imagine if we were all constantly judged by our friends and enemies with the actions of yesteryear?

"Man, I don't know what you were like five years ago but I was an asshole," someone told me when they heard what happened. "I was at my worst five years ago."

I think it was merely the idea that someone thought they knew me because of something they had heard I'd done so long ago. And with this much delayed opinion of a desperately wounded ego, with this belief of my character and ulterior motives they tried to sway the opinion of someone very close to me.



The mind reels.


And I suddenly wondered....



Why does everyone care so very much?


I have dated many men that were very wrong for me and no one voiced a note of concern. So now that I've discovered a rare and wonderful fellow, the cynics are peeling themselves from the woodwork to hiss their groans of disapproval. And wherefore? I was under the impression that most people were so deliciously self involved they didn't have time from their busy schedules of Me, Mine and More to concern themselves with the likes of little ol' Resa Renee.


"What did you think would happen?" someone asked me.

Well....I thought I wouldn't be judged. I thought when someone turns their back on you and throws you away they give you permission to let someone else hold your hand. I thought moving on meant moving forward, that maybe when something is right, even the darkest of corners can't refract such light. I thought that maybe courses of the heart could run smooth. I thought time wouldn't tell and what we knew to be true would drown out the lies. I certainly never thought I'd feel the need to block a stranger from my profile.

But this is what happens when a boy meets a girl. There must be conflict or there is no story. And it's their turn for a story. A story about a boy finding a girl he always fancied. And she never knew. And what a pleasant surprise it was to find something so familiar in something unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment