Saturday, September 4, 2010

They say that breaking up is hard to do

An old girlfriend told me recently that she broke up with her boyfriend. While my heart went out to her loss, inwardly I thought how it wasn't a surprise. When Susie Q (as she will now be called) and her beau started dating, they quickly fell head over heels, getting a place together, a dog together, they did everything together. Everything. In fact it didn't take many months before Susie Q couldn't even enjoy a night out with her girlfriends without needing to constantly check in with her man. I know this makes me a hypocrite (hey I was 19 at the time, I've matured a bit since then) but a codependency does not a lasting love make. I know too many gals who get so wrapped up in their relationships they forget who they were before they met the kid. How does one fall deeply in love yet still maintain the ability to climb out of that hole every once in a while? I remember Susie Q telling me of quarrels her and her lover would have. Sometimes over the fact that he'd want to go do things without her. I couldn't understand how she didn't see that having a guy with a life and friends was a good thing and that by having space she was free to pursue the things that encompassed her. She was no longer interested in herslef anymore though and I think that is partially why the love fizzled and faded.


I wonder sometime wwhat my friends and I would be like, what we would accomplish, who we might even meet, if we quit settling. What are we afraid of? I enjoy being alone. When I have a date with myself those are always the times I write the most, hear from God, feel inspired, create, learn new music. Why would I give that up to take all that energy God blessed me with and exert it on one person? There are so many people to bless and if I was given such skills, shouldn't I spend time on them? Isn't it our responsibility to exert some of that passionate energy on us as well as them? After all, we are just as important as they are.....aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment