Sunday, September 5, 2010

You wanna know a secret?

You wanna know a secret?




There's a reason certain cliches exist.

They're TRUE.



You know that expression, 'kill them with kindness?' It takes a little pride swallowing on your part but it's well known because it works. Proverbs 15 says 'a soft answer turns away wrath but harsh words stir up anger.' And I think when you're loving towards someone who hates on you, it not only makes the vile vibe between people cease, it CONFUSES them!! Can you think of anything more comical? I think a dumbfounded angry person is one of my new favorite things to witness.



Oh sure, there are moments when people are treating us unjustly and all you want to do is give them a piece of your mind (believe you me, I've done that plenty of times and I'm not gonna lie, it feels good). But that good feeling doesn't last and often times it doesn't change anything. People aren't gonna change. They're stubborn sons o' bitches! But you can change YOU. And let me tell you, it feels really good watching people around me trying to steal my joy and I just look back at them and smile.



Because I know a secret. And you wanna know my secret?



I started praying for them.



Yup, those no good, rude, selfish buttheads that aren't getting out of my life anytime soon and I got sick and tired of feeling like the times I had to be around them were an ongoing battle for my joy so I forced myself to start praying for them. Truth be told, I really didn't want to. It hurts your pride to utter a sentence that starts with "Please bless..." and ends with someone who has gone out of their way to be unpleasant towards you.



But let me tell you, it has only been a handful of days yet and there is already a change taking place in my interactions with them.



And you want to know why? Because I fixed my spirit and my mind towards them and now it doesn't matter what they do because I don't take the bait! I don't let them get me down! And I don't even have to try the way I used to for that to be the case. And now they have nothing left to do but be pleasant because they're wearing themselves out. And I really wanted to say something like, HA! You're singin' a new tune and it's cuz I've been praying for you! but I just kind of smiled to myself as I realized, things are different and all I did was start praying for this unlovable.



And imagine if we all started praying for those rotten people we love to avoid. Maybe it'd make you smile too. Secrets will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment