Saturday, September 4, 2010

Overcome with good

No matter what seems to happen, I continue to find myself surprised by how quickly circumstances can change. Years ago, I was dating a kid I was over the moon for. When he broke up with me he decided he'd still be my date for my friends wedding that I was in. Of course, timing working its wonders, I caught a terrible cold and thank heaven for drugs, without which I would have passed out during the ceremony. During the reception, the ex and I, wine in hand, went for a stroll through the beautiful woods surrounding the area. We stopped and he kissed me and as we were facing each other he said something that made me laugh so hard that snot flew out of my nose and landed on his upper lip! I felt like I was living in one of those horror stories that get printed up in magazines. You know those stories you never believe are true, they are just too ridiculously awful. You would think that any guy, let alone one who dumped you would react with strong disgust. I was mortified and beyond embarassed, apologizing profusely. He calmly wiped off his lip, dipped a finger in his wine, rubbing it over his lip. "There," he said, "the alcohol killed all the germs." And he leaned forward and kissed me again. It was one of the most loving moments with him and it seems so poignant that we weren't even "together" at the time.



Cut to many months later....and who was once a brunette, now a blonde....and we haven't spoken for months. On again, off again, more times than Carrie and Mr. Big, I text him in good faith letting him know I'm in town and going to be at the goodfoot if he wants to say hello. Surprisingly, I hear back from him. A text that reads, "FUCK OFF! Ok??" Such a flogging tongue stung harshly. And how is't possible that a person can change so greatly in such a short amount of time? The fact that I could smile through such a horrid transformation is testimoney to the power of Grace. When I told my Mother what he'd said she didn't say much or even seem to react, except a calmly muttered, "wow." It kind of hurt my feelings to think she could be so cavalier about something so gut wrenching to me. I went upstairs shortly thereafter and my Mother was standing in the kitchen. "I've been praying for him," she said. Knowing he could treat me in such a way made her want to kill him (and I wouldn't mind if she did ;op) But she chose instead to bless those that cursed her daughter. And enduring such trials strengthens character and produces endurance, so that one day, I will be strong enough to make it through anything that may happen. I recently watched Pollyanna and I thought about how we are to have faith like a child. Pollyanna walks in such trusting love, blessing everyone she encounters but facing opposition all along the way. I want to live walking in such love that through the Big G, it could have the power to melt even the most hating of hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment