Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lose to Gain

I think a lot of people I know, including myself, worry when we feel like we're losing someone. Many of us will tie ourselves in knots trying to figure out a way to maintain said relationships, never stopping to ponder whether the relationship is really one that we would be better off without...


I was reading about Saul and the story of how he offered a forbidden sacrifice but only when Samuel didn't arrive as expected. When asked why, Saul said, "because I saw that the people were scattering from me." 1 Sam 13:11

After that, Saul ended up losing his kingdom. He was scared of people leaving him and then he ended up losing everything. It made me think about how God will never give us something if our need for it is too great; if it comes before our need for God. Don't people always say that you find love only when you're not looking for it? That it, rather, finds you? I think that is the case for many things. When we are content and satisfied with what we do or do not have it is then that blessings shall blanket us in their showers!

I also find it most interesting that Saul only disobeys when he feels he is losing those around him. Interesting....that he only compromises himself, his values when he feels he might no longer have those he thinks he needs around him there. Sound familiar? How many times do we often do things we know we shouldn't just because we are afraid people will leave us. And if they really did leave us, as we so greatly fear, wouldn't they be the type of people we wouldn't desire to be close to us? Is being alone with your integrity really so awful in comparison to the company of those that would squelch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment