Sunday, September 5, 2010

Little Voice, Big Prompting

The other night I sat typing away on my handy dandy laptop writing a most important and thoughtful email. The subject of said email is not significant, only that I spent about an hour reading and re-reading and making sure that the carefully chosen words conveyed the right message. As I finalized my last paragraph, my finger hovered over the "send" icon and just before I clicked, a Little Voice inside me urged me to save what I'd written, just in case. So I cut and paste all that I'd worked so hard to compose, opened another browser and saved it as a draft in my email. Then I went back to the previous screen with the email, clicked 'send' and poof! Yahoo demanded I verify my password and once I did it brought me back to my email home page and the email in which I had so carefully poured my heart out had disappeared. If I had not listened to that Little Voice inside me the email would have been gone for good but instead I went to the drafts folder of my email, sent it and all was well.




It seems like such an insignificant moment. So you lose something you wrote, big deal, right? But what if all those times we heard a little nudging to do something or not do something we actually stopped and listened. What if we let our closed minds open up momentarily to let the Little Voice in?



I started thinking about all those times I had a bad feeling about where I was or who I was with. "Just go home," the Little Voice would urge me. But I'd excuse it in some way as paranoia and ignore the urging and continue headlong into whatever I was doing. And then later think back on the prompting I had ignored and reminisce over all the drama that ensued thereafter. 'If I'd just gone home none of it would have happened,' I'd think later. And all of that heartache and confusion could have been avoided.



And now here I am, sitting, typing away on my handy dandy laptop and the Little Voice is pulling on my heartstrings once again. "It's time to start anew," it's telling me. And I'm glad because I've been anticipating change for awhile now. Sometimes it's scary to take that first step, to run headlong into something unknown. And sometimes it's all you need to do to avoid the drama and the heartache and be able to just be. Free. And happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment