Saturday, September 4, 2010

We Sparked

I had one of those wonderful little encounters today where for a moment, you feel a little spark with a person, however fragmentary, but long enough for two gazes to linger and an exchange of smiles to transpire. An accent. A suit. Money, for certain. A doppio. Which for those not in the know, indicates dateability. (A non high maintenance drink infers a non highmaintenance gent). Can't you hear my knees buckling already??


I think what was most intriguing was that in a drive thru, which we all know isn't a place we take our time, he actually responded with a real answer to my polite, "how is your day going so far?" Of course a co-worker said he was flirting with me, which was possible or maybe we were just having a conversation where instead of ignoring what the other was saying, we actually cared. At least, those few minutes, anyway. I nonchalantly stated I'd recently started working at that store after having been away a few years. And he looked me square in the eye and asked, "But what is it you really want to do?" I love it when strangers hear what you don't say. Turns out his Mother's an actress in town too. Go fig.

It was just another reflection of how everywhere we are and everyone we exchange words with, carries pin pricks of impact, below the surface, occasionally revealing results. Days ago someone I thought not in the audience informed me I was why they were there. It's nice to be around different types of people, doing different types of work, varying environments. Sometimes we let the shadows who screamed lies echo in our hearts and forget the people we just met are so thankful we fell into their lives. I think that's why we sometimes find ourselves in places unexpected. Because sometimes we're better at stopping the venom in others. And that's all they needed. For that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment